What Is Welcome Week? Comments From an Honors Upperclassmen

Welcome Week begins August 31 and ends on September 3. It will be the first in-person version since the pandemic. I asked Greyson Corley the following questions to provide insight from an upperclassman enrolled in the combined degree program regarding what Honors Welcome Week is.

1. How would you describe Welcome Week? In other words, what is your understanding of what Welcome Week is?

Welcome Week is something that the Honors College puts together for incoming freshman to attend before the beginning of the school year so that they can feel comfortable with the resources being offered to them. It also allows them to begin building the community aspect of Honors. Welcome Week shows new students what Honors has to offer.

1. What were your thoughts/expectations about Welcome Week prior to attending it? Was there anything that you were worried or concerned about?

I didn’t have very high expectations going into Welcome Week. I was worried because I didn’t know anyone, but it ended up being very helpful. I met a lot of people that I’m still close with today. The event was genuinely very fun!

1. What are some events/activities that the Honors staff included during your Welcome Week?

A lot of the activities included splitting up into separate groups depending on our school (Dyson, Lubin, etc.), our major, and interests. Current Honors students spoke to us within these categories. It was nice because the activities not only allowed us to connect with each other, but they also gave us the opportunity to ask questions going into the academic year. Alumni also spoke to us about what they’re working on.

1. How did those events contribute to your experience?

These events made my experience during Welcome Week. They allowed me to see myself as an Honors student and showcased all the opportunities I would soon have. It was also great to meet the Honors staff and community. Welcome Week was the beginning of feeling like a part of the Honors family.

1. What are some of your favorite memories from Welcome Week?

Some of my favorite memories include meeting a lot of people that I’m still friends with four years later, participating in fun activities, and seeing how goofy the Honors staff can be. I’ll never forget Dr. Shostya talking about her love for turtles!

1. What advice do you have for incoming freshmen and transfer students regarding the Honors Welcome Week?

The advice I would give to incoming students regarding Welcome Week is to go into it with a positive attitude. It might seem overwhelming, but it really is a great opportunity to get to know Honors as a whole and start your college years. Honors is there to make your college experience the best that it can be, so it is up to you to decide how you want that to happen. Welcome Week is just the beginning of the support and help you will receive during your time at Pace with Honors.