Unexpected NYC Discoveries

by Isabella Coraci ’25

After class on the second Friday of October, I decided to browse some stores at the World Trade Center. On the way back to my dorm from H&M, I stumbled across something unexpected. On the side of the Oculus, between Church Street and Greenwich Street, I found several food stands that looked amazing. After probably too much contemplation, I got a Korean BBQ bun at C Bao Asian Buns that was delicious.

It turns out that I had stumbled across a weekly outdoor food market called Smorgasburg on my trip from H&M. Later, I did some research and found out that since May 21, that food market was there every Friday; I had no idea about this before. Since it was going to be open until the end of October, I made it a point to return there for lunch every week.

After trying (almost) all of the food stands, my favorites were Bona Bona Ice Cream and Carlitos Barbecue Taqueria. I definitely recommend the rainbow cookie ice cream with Bona’s signature toasted meringue and the smoked brisket taco for an end-of-the-week treat. Luckily, both have permanent locations that you can go to year-round. Bona Bona Ice Cream is located in Port Chester, New York and Carlitos has locations in New Jersey.

Unexpectedly finding things is one of my favorite parts of living and going to school in New York City. After my discovery, I excitedly told my roommates and my envious friends from other colleges, who do not have nearly the amount of food options Pace students do. Next year, when Smorgasburg returns to the World Trade Center, I encourage everyone to stop by. There is also a Smorgasburg location, in Williamsburg, Brooklyn with different food options that I definitely want to visit next year. Keep your eye out for other events around the city, like the free live music happening on the Main Oculus Floor, November 16 and November 23 from 12:00 pm to 2:00 pm. Bryant Park also has some great food and shopping options this time of year, as well as an ice skating rink.