Registration Tips From a Senior

by Greyson Corley ’23

Registration season is coming up faster than anyone expected and I think we can all agree that parts of it can be very stressful. There is so much to plan and figure out while in the middle of taking your current classes. For many first year students, it’s the first time you’ve had the freedom to create your own schedule and pick some classes that you really want to take. This can be exciting but also overwhelming as you make sure you’re also planning everything correctly. As a senior I have been through many registration seasons at this point. I’m hoping that I am able to provide some helpful insight that serves to calm some of the nerves and anxiety surrounding registration.

One of the biggest and most important tips that I can provide as a fellow student is to take classes that you actually want to take. No one wants to be stuck in a class that you dislike; it won’t be enjoyable for anyone involved. On the other hand, I would advise you to first look at classes that you actually want to take within your major, minor, or whatever area you’re trying to satisfy. This kills two birds with one stone because you’ll be fulfilling requirements while also enjoying your classes. For this, Degree Works is your best friend! When it comes to picking actual classes and when to take them, do your research and do what’s best for you. If you know you do not function well in the mornings then avoid those earlier classes if possible. Use all of  your resources available to you , whether it be upperclassmen that you know, your advisor, your mentor, or even an RA. This goes for people of all levels because you will always be able to find someone that knows information about a specific class or professor. I also highly suggest using the website Rate My Professors, but note that every comment should be taken with a grain of salt. One last thing that is important to remember when scheduling classes is that mistakes will be made and you might not end up liking a class or professor and that’s okay! You always have the ability to switch classes out during the drop/add period of the semester. I strongly encourage you to utilize it if it’s going to be the difference between you being happy or not happy.

My final piece of advice is to go into registration prepared and calm. The odds of a technical problem are low but not always zero. Have your back up selections ready just in case. Talk to your advisor (they’re there to help!). I am a big fan of making plans for what I need to take when, even if the plans have to change down the line. Registration can be very stressful, but if you take the steps to help yourself in advance it can go so smoothly. Most importantly, never be afraid to reach out for help or to ask questions. I wish everyone an amazing registration season this year!