Hear Me Out: The Best Kind of Beach Read is a Murder Mystery

In the spirit of Spring break being just around the corner, I thought that I would share my reading hot take: the best genre for a beach read is a murder mystery, which is a lesson I learned the hard way. The first time I read the acclaimed thriller novel, And Then There Were None, by Agatha Christie, I was home alone at night in my old, drafty, New England house. Later that night, I literally could not sleep for fear that I would end up just like one of the characters from the novel. In contrast, the warm sandy beaches that college students like myself flock to during Spring break are the perfect places to get lost in an ominous tale, then watch the sunset and continue on in the warmth like nothing ever happened.  

One of the best crime mystery books I’ve read recently is The Guest List by Lucy Foley. In fact, The Guardian (UK) called her “an Agatha Christie for the Instagram age,” and I totally agree with that sentiment. In The Guest List, Foley meticulously crafts each of the characters to set up a great murder plot. This novel also received much praise from Reese Witherspoon; it was the May 2020 Reese’s Book Club pick. And speaking from personal experience, Reese’s Book Club books never miss.  

The Guest List takes place on a seemingly serene island off the coast of Ireland, where an ambitious magazine founder, Jules, and a reality TV star, Will, are hosting their dreamy destination wedding. Amongst the guests are Charlie, Jules’ best friend along with his wife, Hannah, Jules’ half-sister Olivia, and Johnno, Will’s best man to name a few. Further, Aoife and Freddy, the seemingly good-natured husband and wife duo who own and operate the island venue. What’s interesting about The Guest List, is the unique structure of the story. Right off the bat, the reader understands that something has gone very wrong at the wedding— someone was murdered, possibly. The rest of the novel jumps around between the guests’ perspectives to slowly reveal what has happened, who did it, and why.  

Foley puts so much care into crafting each of her characters. In fact, critics who have read her other works, The Hunting Party and The Paris Apartment, comment that her character development and individualization is her strength as a writer. Something else I loved about this book was the pacing of the story. At no point did I feel like the author provided excessive backstory, or rushed any particular event. However, I do have a love-hate relationship with the ending of The Guest List. Foley’s word choice in the last few stanzas is so delicate, and as a result, every loose end to the murder plot was beautifully tucked in. On the other hand, there are some subplots woven into the novel that I would have really appreciated being resolved. Instead, they remained unaddressed.  

By no means did this novel change my life, but if you’re being blinded by the sunshine over Spring break, and you’re looking for just a hint of darkness, I would highly recommend giving The Guest List a read. From a broader standpoint, The Guest List not only provides a thrilling escape from the sun-soaked monotony but also offers a thought-provoking exploration of human nature and the lengths to which people will go to protect their own interests.