Honors Learning Community Spotlight

By Isabella Coraci ‘25

At Pace, every Honors freshman is required to take an Honors learning community if they do not have enough college credits to be considered a transfer student. A learning community is two classes that are paired together with subject matter that is related and the same students take both classes. It is a great way to explore a topic one is interested in from multiple perspectives and make friends.

The learning community I picked consists of a sociology class titled “Border Crossing: Immigration and Society” and a literature class titled “The Individual and Society.” What drew me to pick the learning community was the literature class with Dr. Johnson, who I knew prior and who I think is a great professor. Also, immigration has been an especially hot topic in recent years, but one I have never formally learned about, which interested me.

Both the literature class and sociology class in the learning community I picked emphasized student discussion and recent events. In particular, I enjoyed the literature portion of the learning community because the books we read were great and gave a more humanizing perspective on immigration than sociological statistics could. The sociology class, on the other hand, gave me experiences with assignments like writing a policy brief, which I have never done before, and utilizing the Social Explorer website (a tool free to Pace students through the library).

Overall, I am happy with my Honors learning community choice. I definitely recommend it to others in the future!