The Shift Between High School and College

by Maddie McCool ‘25

As a graduate of the class of 2021, I have the most recent experiences and memories at my disposal. I grew up in a small town in a school with 600 kids in total, where everyone knew everyone. My schooling was far from progressive, and at times felt out of touch or dated. For as long as I can remember, I have dreamed of moving away and starting a new life in an environment I was meant to thrive in. When I came to Pace I was completely overwhelmed by the dedication professors had to maintaining relevant information in their teaching. So much of their time and passion is dedicated to helping their students and equipping them with the tools necessary for their individual success. The classes I’ve taken at Pace reflect the future of education, whereas my high school fell flat. The freedom that comes with going to college was quite surprising to me. I spent many years of my life dreaming of the life I would have in college, and now that I was here, I had no idea what to do with myself. I couldn’t remember what making friends was like because I had been going to school with the same kids for 13 years. But thanks to the Honors College, I have been able to make some wonderful new friends with whom I have shared many adventures so far. Learning to balance school and the many other aspects of my life has been no easy task, but reaping the rewards has brought far more satisfaction than my high school experience ever could.