Cha Cha Matcha 

With midterm season upon us, notes need to be studied and essays need to be written. Setting time aside during stressful study season is important to securing the best grades possible. As a part of my column, I’ve explored different cafés around the city in search of the perfect study spots for Pace students, tending to center around coffee shops specifically. Running on caffeine can feel necessary for times when you’re running low on energy, but one of my personal alternatives is matcha! Critics may be inclined to steer away from this weird, green substance, but my advice is to give it a try at Cha Cha Matcha! The chain has many locations all over the city, but the one I recommend is located in Flatiron.  

Cha Cha Matcha, aside from their catchy name, is a unique matcha café known for its delicious matchas and specialty drinks. They have drinks ranging from their infamous “strawberry matcha,” to lemonades, smoothies, and even coffee drinks! Their variety is extensive which ensures that any college student will find something appealing to their taste! Although the drinks are on the pricier end, I would say this is one of those things worth splurging on! On average, each regular drink costs about $6-8, which is not too much of a stretch from regular New York City prices.  

As far as the location goes, my personal recommendation is the 21st Street Cha Cha Matcha . The train ride is only about a 20-minute commute away from campus and gives Pace students the perfect excuse to head out into the city! This location specifically is perfect for doing homework and studying in because of all the available seating. There are smaller tables all along the walls perfect for those one-on-one study sessions with a friend, and larger tables for any group work you might need to do! The outlets all along the walls are certainly a bonus.  

Aside from the tasty drinks, Cha Cha Matcha has become my latest obsession for studying because of the environment itself. Upon entering, you are immediately drawn to the pink walls with green accents…their signature colors! The aesthetic is fun and bright, motivating me to feel energized and ready to tackle my work for the day. Additionally, many of the people in the café are also on their laptops doing their own work. Seeing all these people being productive helps me to stay focused on my work, and less prone to being distracted by my phone, procrastination, or even boredom. I believe Pace students will be equally motivated by this environment as well.  

Apart from the fact that the color scheme of this café chain is aesthetically pleasing to the eye, there is some psychology behind colors and their effects on people. According to Empowered by Color, pink is psychologically connected to feelings of hope and comfort, as well as calming and reassuring emotional energies. The stress of trying to get good grades and getting everything done on time can be draining, so being surrounded by a color that can subconsciously relieve that stress is beneficial for  midterm season. Cha Cha Matcha is an optimal place to find this environment! 

Whether you need a place to study in, or simply just want a tasty drink, Cha Cha Matcha is a place I strongly recommend! Spending an hour there, or even a few, will certainly be an enjoyable time!