Two Lies and A Truth About the Writer: Crazy, Rich, Asian 

“No but seriously, the book is way better,” is a stance that many people take after seeing the film adaptation of their favorite novel. Harry Potter, The Summer I Turned Pretty, and The Hunger Games are all examples of this phenomenon. I recently re-read the Crazy Rich Asians series by Kevin Kwan, and I was inspired to share my take on this debate for the novel, Crazy Rich Asians, and the movie. Though I am neither crazy nor rich, I hold the Crazy Rich Asians universe near and dear to my heart because it was a pivotal moment in my adolescence where I felt represented, both on the page and on the screen.  

Rachel Chu, a young economics professor at New York University is ecstatic to accompany her boyfriend, Nick Young, to his best friend’s wedding in Singapore. Unbeknownst to Rachel, Nick’s family is considered to be one of Asia’s most influential and wealthy families— almost Singaporean royalty. Her association with Nick places her in extreme scrutiny, and she must defend herself and her romantic relationship against jealous relatives, trifling socialites, backstabbing “friends,” and the final boss, Nick’s disapproving mother, Eleanor. 

One of my favorite characters in the film is Rachel’s best friend, Peik Lin, who is played by Awkwafina. She is perfectly goofy to provide comedic relief, and serious when she needs to be, taking care of Rachel when her grief over losing Nick is too much to bear on her own. A native Singaporean, Peik Lin is intrigued by the Young Family’s mystique and wealth. She accompanies Rachel to a dinner party at Nick’s grandmother’s estate, Tyersall Park. While in the text, she is not invited inside, the movie allowed for her to join Rachel and Nick for the party, which I think was a great choice. In addition to backing up the “supportive best friend” archetype, this allowed for a hilarious moment, where Peik Lin rummages through her car’s ‘emergency outfit storage’ compartment to find something suitable to wear.  

I love reading books that are multiple characters’ narratives spliced together, and Crazy Rich Asians offers me just that. On top of the main plot, the novel tells a secondary story about Astrid Leong-Teo, Nick’s ethereal cousin; I would even argue that Astrid is a main character in the novel. However, the movie pares down her narrative, and Gemma Chan, the actress who portrays Astrid, has merely a supporting role. Throughout the movie and the book, Astrid is feeling uneasy about her husband, Michael’s, sketchy behavior. While the movie asserts that Michael is indeed having an affair, the book gives way to a potential love triangle: Astrid, with the help of her old flame, Charlie Wu, tracks down Michael overseas, and looks for explanations for his “late nights at the office” and suspicious text messages. 

Another big difference between the film and the novel is the way the conflict between Eleanor and Rachel plays out. In the movie, during a family gathering at Tyersall Park, Rachel steps aside in search of one of the mansion’s many bathrooms. At this moment, Eleanor confronts her and while the two of them are alone, she recites a passionate monologue which, in summation, is “you will never be good enough for my son.” Michelle Yeoh delivers this perfectly, almost as if she herself is Eleanor Young. As much as I think this scene was immaculately delivered, I think it’s no match for its novel equivalent: Nick takes Rachel on a romantic getaway to Malaysia to escape the drama surrounding their relationship. So romantic, in fact, that he is planning to propose to her! Just when the pair let their guard down, they are ambushed by none other than Eleanor and Nick’s grandmother, the equally disapproving matriarch of the Young family. As a result, Eleanor ruins the surprise of Nick’s proposal for Rachel, and she is left feeling like the relationship is doomed.  

In both the novel and the movie, Rachel’s father is a total mystery, and she was raised by her single mother, Kerry Chu. On screen, the identity of Rachel’s father remains obscured, and isn’t super relevant to the plot. At the end of the novel however, Kerry sits her daughter down and has a heart-to-heart with her about her immigration story to America, an implication of her relationship with her father. In this way, Rachel’s past is secured by the novel. What remains uncertain though, is Rachel’s future. At the end of the story, Nick does not propose to Rachel, although they have reconciled. But in classic romcom fashion, Nick proposes to Rachel in the aisle of the plane Rachel is set to take back to the United States, which makes for a really sweet moment. 

I saw the movie in theaters before I had read the series, but I’m obsessed with the world both illustrate. “Glimpse into the lives of the extremely wealthy” is a genre that I will always love. I will say, the movie left me wanting more, possibly a sequel about Astrid. However, the book is the first in a series, so my need for more content was satiated. In all, if you’re not a huge reader, I would recommend the movie. But if you’re like me and you love to read, the Crazy Rich Asians series will not be a waste of time!