A Weekend Away: My Time at the Q-Camp Leadership Retreat

I’ve participated in many campus events during my first year at Pace. One of my favorites has been Q-Camp, an LGBTQ+ leadership retreat that’s hosted by the LGBTQ+ Center every fall. Last year’s retreat began on November 4th. The weekend retreat is for students from both the Pleasantville and NYC campuses, so it’s a great chance to meet people I normally wouldn’t be able to.

I first found out about the event from the advertising flyers that were posted around campus. I was nervous that I wouldn’t know anyone there, but when we met on Friday to drive up to the retreat, I found out that one of my friends was attending as well. Feeling much more at ease, I started to get excited for the weekend ahead.

The retreat took place in Camp Vacamas Day Camp. The view was gorgeous. It was really refreshing to get away from Manhattan’s gray and brown. Once we’d picked our rooms and gotten settled, we played some icebreaker games, ate dinner, and made s’mores. The activities were a great way to get to know people and make a couple friends. The relaxed atmosphere made it easy to socialize.

On Saturday, we got outside and explored more of the campground. We went through a ropes course and completed a few agility challenges, took a break, then set out on a hike. The hike was my favorite part of the whole weekend; I really enjoyed the chance to get out in nature. We didn’t have any cell service, so I ended up spending the whole hike talking to my new friends. Our destination turned out to be a hilltop above the treeline. The trees looked like they went on forever. The view was stunning.

After the hike came dinner and a talent show. I wasn’t planning on performing, but I ended up getting onstage and sharing some poetry about queerness and how to navigate complex identities in a restrictive society. One of the most memorable performances was a Commercial Dance major who performed a breathtaking ballet about mental health. The show was a great chance to see people display their talents. It was really cool to see people share the things they’re passionate about.

On Sunday, we did a few more bonding activities and took a group photo. We put together a group chat so that people could stay in touch after camp. Once we’d packed and said our goodbyes, we headed back to our respective campuses.

I had my hesitations about Q-Camp at first, but I’m really glad I went. I’ve become good friends with some of the folks I met at camp, and we’ve been able to make a lot of fun memories together. It was really nice to get off campus and spend the weekend away. I’m looking forward to attending Q-Camp again next fall.