My Favorite Independent Bookstores in NYC

In NYC, we are surrounded by tons of incredible bookstores. We all know about the big Barnes and Noble stores near us, and the city is notorious for the Strand, but what about the smaller independent bookstores? These are my favorites, but I’ve realized not everyone knows about them. So I’ve compiled a list of my favorite small independent bookstores that I think everyone should go to. 

McNally Jackson Bookstore

This one is a bit obvious. Since most of us live right next to South Street Seaport, of course almost everyone at Pace knows of McNally. But I still feel it deserves its recognition. With its cute and cozy cafe, and a huge variety of books, McNally has some incredible vibes. Bonus points for the fact that there are two locations: one in Seaport by Pier 17 and another in Soho that just moved from Nolita!

Sweet Pickle Books

Located at 47 Orchard Street on the Lower East Side, Sweet Pickle Books is a hybrid between a bookstore and a pickle store and is just as cool as you’d expect. It’s a small shop that sells only used books which is a bonus for the environment. They also have super cute stickers as a memento of the store!

Shakespeare&Co.

If you feel like taking a trip to the Upper East Side, this is one of my favorite places to visit. This bookstore has a relaxing cafe area and has a section of adorable postcards and posters in addition to all the books on their shelves. Get out of FiDi for a bookstore trip, you won’t regret it!

Miscellaneous specialty bookstores:

• The Mysterious Bookshop on Warren Street
    • This bookstore is near Pace’s campus and it sells only mysteries and thrillers!
  • Books Kinokuniya
    • If you find yourself near Bryant Park, this bookstore is right across the street! Each floor is separated into types of book or product. The main floor is traditional novels, the top floor is graphic novels and manga, and the bottom floor has stationery and more!
  • Albertine
    • This bookstore on the Upper East Side is a project of the French Embassy. It holds many books written in both French and English. If you’re looking to expand the culture of the literature you read, this is a great choice. Plus, it has the most beautiful ceilings (see the below picture)!

I am an avid reader but I bookshop even more frequently so I hope these bookstore recommendations please bibliophiles like myself. There are even more interesting independent bookstores all around New York City. Don’t limit yourself to just Barnes and Noble and the Strand! Explore more bookstores!